Tyne and Wear HER(826): Wallsend, Roman building stone - Details
Wallsend, Roman building stone
A building stone, 14 x 5 inches, found before 1867 at Wallsend and acquired by John Bramwell, Recorder of Durham, by 1875 but now lost. An inscription read: Leg(io) II Aug(usta); "The Second Legion Augusta (built this)" RIB assumes this to be from Wallsend fort, but points out that in its style it resembles stones from the Wall.
<< HER 826 >> J.C. Bruce, 1867, The Roman Wall, 91 J.C. Bruce, 1975, Lapidarium Septentrionale, no. 4 G.R.B. Spain, ed. 1930, Inscribed and Sculptured Stones, Wallsend, Northumberland County History, pp. 542-3 no. 8