Tyne and Wear HER(8397): Silksworth, Vicarage Farm - Details
Silksworth, Vicarage Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition of 1898 as a farmhouse and range of farm buildings surrounding a courtyard to the rear with a pond to the ESE. The pond has disappeared by the 1919 OS plan and two long outbuildings have been constructed behind the earlier farm building range. Documentary evidence first cites Vicarage Farm in 1895 (Ward) with a John Joseph Botcherby as occupier. He may be the son of the Joseph Botcherby who had occupied Mill Hill Farm during the same period. By 1911 Richard Thompson is the occupier. The farm appears to have closed in 1923.
Ordnance Survey second edition, 1898; Wardell Armstrong Archaeology, 2013, Mill Hill, Silksworth, Sunderland, Archaeological Assessment;