Tyne and Wear HER(8399): Jesmond, Jesmond Road, No. 123, Minories House (Shiners) - Details
Jesmond, Jesmond Road, No. 123, Minories House (Shiners)
The property is shown on a plan of c.1857 as the proposed "Minories House". It was to be built for a Mr George Davidson, pawnbroker, and was designed by architect Johnston Hogg, Pilgrim Street, Newcastle. By 1859 the house had been built and was occupied. The drawing shows a conventional comfortable double-fronted middle-class home of the period, with drawing room, dining room, kitchen, parlour and wash-house. The house occupied an oddly shaped site next to All Saints Cemetery. It appears to replace an earlier building. In July 1877 a plan was submitted for the addition of bay windows. By 1898 a heated coach house and stable block had been built, and small outbuildings comprising of coalhouse, privy and ashpit, between house and stables. The house remained in the hands of the Davidson family until 1922 when the property became the workshops and offices of JR Rutherford and Sons, Joiners. Workshops were built in the former garden to the west of the house. In recent times the building was in use as "Shiner's" antique shop.
Colin Briden, 2005, 123 Jesmond Road, Newcastle upon Tyne - A Report on the Historic Buildings; Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 117