Tyne and Wear HER(8419): Blaydon Burn, retaining wall - Details
Blaydon Burn, retaining wall
A wall comprised of a combination of sandstone rubble and brick, retaining the western side of the valley bottom with numerous patchings and repairs visible. There is no evidence of this wall on the 1st or 2nd edition OS, but it is identifiable on the 3rd edition 1913-14. This formalisation of the bank probably took place c.1900, when Priestman colleries took over Blaydon Burn. The visible remains include a number of drainage holes and considerable amounts of re-used masonry including a sandstone block featuring the name "Carr".
Northern Archaeological Associates & Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Blaydon Burn, Gateshead - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Building Survey of Industrial Structures