Tyne and Wear HER(8423): Blaydon Burn, reservoir - Details
Blaydon Burn, reservoir
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Storage Site
First shown on 3rd edition OS revision of 1913-14, and probably associated with the Priestman Colleries takeover of Blaydon Burn Colliery in c.1900. It is possible that the reservoir supplied the water needed for quenching the coke burned in the ovens in the valley below, or served as a general supply for Blaydon Burn Colliery. The structure is mainly of un-marked, pressed red house brick, though some repairs have been carried out to wall head on the east side using "Cowen M" firebricks and the outlet taps are enclosed by walls of Lily brick. The reservoir is substantially intact, and at the southeast end two spur walls have been added later to enclose a pair of iron water outlet taps.
Northern Archaeological Associates & Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Blaydon Burn, Gateshead - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Building Survey of Industrial Structures