Tyne and Wear HER(8426): Blaydon Burn, retaining wall - Details
Blaydon Burn, retaining wall
An extensive stretch of retaining wall which defines the east side of the central waggonway (Figure 14). This feature does not appear as a distinct wall line until the 3rd ed. OS (1914) although in parts it may date to the foundation of the Blaydon Burn waggonway in the 19th century (2nd edition OS 1896). Unlike the corresponding retaining wall to the north (26), the wall shows predominately one phase of build although it has been re-enforced and repaired in a number of areas. The wall on this side is much lower than to the north and therefore under less danger of collapse. The wall is built of sandstone rubble, fairly evenly coursed, with some larger squared sandstone blocks (Plates 44 and 45) and runs along the south side of the central wagonway from a point opposite the coal drop. At the north eastern end the wall measures just over 2m high but gradually slopes down until it measures less than 0.5m at the north western end. A set of stairs provided access from the central track to the upper wagonway (Plate 46).","072-075","Variable, mostly good."
Northern Archaeological Associates & Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Blaydon Burn, Gateshead - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Building Survey of Industrial Structures