Tyne and Wear HER(8430): Blaydon Burn, footbridge - Details
Blaydon Burn, footbridge
A high-level footbridge served by two converging tracks on the east side of the valley and crossing the waggonway lines to link with the south-east end of Mill Lane. This first appears on the 3rd edition OS of 1914, and was necessitated by the expansion of tracks and rail traffic associated with Priestman Colleries' use of Blaydon Burn Colliery. The feature has now been replaced by a double flight of stone steps providing access from the central track to the top of the valley, but a brick pier to the left of the present structure may have carried pipework associated with the original structure.
Northern Archaeological Associates & Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Blaydon Burn, Gateshead - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Building Survey of Industrial Structures