Tyne and Wear HER(8444): Blaydon Burn, waggonway bridge - Details
Blaydon Burn, waggonway bridge
Carrying the Blaydon Burn waggonway across the Burn. Built c.1840 when Joseph Cowen received wayleave for the waggonway running from the High Yard at Blaydon Burn hamlet to the Newcastle-Carlisle Railway. The lower courses of the northwest face of the are almost certainly built on the foundation of the earlier 1840 bridge (Plate 68). The present bridge is constructed of randomly coursed sandstone including some larger square cut blocks (possibly from an earlier structure). The arch includes yellow firebrick as does the north side of the bridge which has been heavily remodelled. The south side of the structure is faced in shuttered concrete. Although heavily modified the lower courses of stonework on the culvert are of square cut rusticated sandstone blocks and may relate to the earlier waggonway bridge, elements of which can also be seen on the southeast face of the bridge just upstream of the dam.
Northern Archaeological Associates & Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Blaydon Burn, Gateshead - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Building Survey of Industrial Structures