Tyne and Wear HER(8453): Blaydon Burn, sluice - Details
Blaydon Burn, sluice
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Regulation Installation
Marked as a dam on the 1828 Enclosure map, but called a sluice on the 1st edition OS of 1858. Remains comprise of very large blocks of sandstone (Plate 86) with traces of watergate (Plate 87). The retaining wall to the north of the sluice runs all the way along the east side of the burn bank to join that at Massey's Forge. The wall along this stretch has suffered considerably from subsidence from the bank above. To the southwest of the sluice, where the Burn meanders quite considerable, a large section of this wall has collapsed. Just to the north of the sluice the wall has been strengthened at numerous time first by the addition of iron retaining bars and later by concrete buttresses.
Northern Archaeological Associates & Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Blaydon Burn, Gateshead - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Building Survey of Industrial Structures