Tyne and Wear HER(8454): Blaydon Burn, culvert mouth and weir - Details
Blaydon Burn, culvert mouth and weir
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Regulation Installation
Shown on the 2nd edition OS of 1896, and part of the expansion of Cowenâ€™s Low Yard in the second half of the 19th century involving culverting the Burn. The visible remains include a brick-arch of white Lily firebricks (Plate 88). The Burn is canalised in its approach with concrete revetments and a weir of railway lines to break the force of the water.
Northern Archaeological Associates & Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Blaydon Burn, Gateshead - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Building Survey of Industrial Structures