Tyne and Wear HER(8470): Whitburn Hall - Details
A long rambling building of several different periods. It became the seat of the Williamson family after the destruction of Monkwearmouth Hall by fire in 1790. The oldest part, at the east end, had C17 windows with hood-moulds. Next was a long plain C18 wing of six bays. About 1800 a complicated nine-bay section was added, one bay projecting as a small wing, with a Venetian window. This part was remodelled by John Dobson in 1856, and again c.1880 for Sir Hedworth Williamson, in a neo-Baroque style. A cast iron balcony supported by caryatids was added. The windows were heightened, and higher still were oeil-de-boeuf windows and a balustrade with urns. In the 1930s when Chesterfield House, London was being broken up and demolished, the panelling and decorations of the French Room, c.1750 by Isaac Ware, were acquired and installed at Whitburn. They have since been installed at the Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle. Whitburn Hall was burnt in 1978 and demolished in 1980.
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 38; North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, 2006, Whitburn Conservation Area Character Appraisal