Tyne and Wear HER(8471): Great Usworth, Usworth House (Peareth Hall) - Details
Great Usworth, Usworth House (Peareth Hall)
Built in about 1750 by William Peareth (d.1775), Clerk of the Chamber and Alderman of Newcastle. The grounds were presided over by a large 3-storey canted bay containing the principal apartments. The entrance front was of seven bays, the central three of which were slightly projected to relieve the faĆ§ade, an effect also achieved by the detailing around the front door and window above. The composition was completed by two storey pavilions. Generally known as Peareth Hall, perhaps to distinguish it from Little Usworth Hall, the house was the home of John Bailey, wine merchant in the late C19. It was demolished some time between 1895 and 1919. One wing survives (HER 7050).
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 39