Tyne and Wear HER(8473): Monkton, Monkton Lane, East Farmhouse - Details
Monkton, Monkton Lane, East Farmhouse
East Farmhouse sits behind a prominent stone boundary wall and a large garden. A large sandstone house with sash windows with exposed weight boxes, slate roof and stone watertabling. It has two well-mannered extensions - a small garage to the west in stone rubble and handmade brick, and a larger single-storey one with a hipped pitched slate roof. The ground floor of this offshot is stone, the first floor is in handmade brick in English garden wall bond. It includes a first floor stone window lintel dated 1865. The house has good conservation-style rooflights on the rear roof slope, but some rear replacement windows are fake sash top hung casements which visually jar against the finer original ones.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, March 2006, Monkton Conservation Area Character Appraisal; N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition)