Tyne and Wear HER(8475): Sunderland, Thornhill House - Details
Sunderland, Thornhill House
Thornhill House lay south-west of Sunderland and was built by a self-made man in the shipping and timber trades, John Thornhill, once described as "a curious mixture of piety, public spirit, conceit and fraud". He moved from Coronation Street, having bought the farm and estate known as Plenty Hall in 1768. The house was subject to major C19 additions, probably by Sir James Laing who bought the house in 1867. It was demolished in the 1930s for housing. The lodge of c1810 remains.
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 41