Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Pallion Hall

Tyne and Wear HER(8477): Pallion Hall - Details

Back to Search Results



Pallion Hall





Country House

Post Medieval

Documentary Evidence

The name Pallion is said to be a contraction of Pavilion, the summer seat of the Lords of Dalden. Pallion Hall remained a rural retreat until Sunderland's encroachments led to its demolition in 1901. The site was later developed for industry. The C19 house replaced an earlier hall. George Short, shipbuilder, lived there from 1850. It was the birthplace of Sir Joseph Wilson Swann, inventor of the incandescent light bulb. The stairs and many other fittings were removed to Unthank Hall in Northumberland. During the 19th century the house was bought by Sunderland ropemaker Christopher Webster married to Mary Laing from another prominent ropebuilding family and they lived at Pallion Hall until their deaths in 1894 and 1899 respectively. Writing in 1892 the local historian Taylor Potts recorded that Christopher Webster 'laid out the whole river frontage of his Pallion estate - extending from the corner of the West Quay to his eastern boundary - for wood shipyards, but they were not fully occupied until years later.' The 1870 OS map shows the house in wooded grounds on the west side, glasshouses and a kitchen garden near the south boundary as well as drives and walks. On the east side of the house were a stable block and lodge.




P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 45; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2012, Crown Works, Pallion, Sunderland - building recording

Back to Search Results