Tyne and Wear HER(8478): Sunderland, Low Barnes - Details
Sunderland, Low Barnes
The Barnes Estate on the Durham Road was split in 1668. Low Barnes was bought by the Pemberton family in 1783 and it remained in their ownership until the 1920s, when it was acquired to make Barnes Park. The house in its final form was in the classical style with stuccoed brickwork and pilasters. It was built or remodelled for the family in the C19 and has been attributed to Thomas Moore, the architect of Ashbrooke Hall. By the end of C19 the Pembertons no longer lived there and was let to a laundry company. In 1921 it was demolished for a bowling green. Gate piers and a derelict cottage survive.
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 45; Archaeo-Environment Ltd., 2008, Barnes Park, Sunderland - Archaeological Assessment