Tyne and Wear HER(8494): Monkton, Monkton Lane, Grange Farm - Details
Monkton, Monkton Lane, Grange Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
The large plot to the rear of The Grange Farmhouse (HER 8144) is still very much farmyard in character. The roughly surfaced yard is surrounded by brick and stone boundary walls and contains a collection of simple traditional agricultural barns and outhouses in sandstone with slate pitched and hipped roofs and several timber lean-to additions. A 5-bar gate leads to the farmyard from High Back Close whilst a longer track leads in from the west end, round the back of The Grange's (HER 8167) garden from the north footpath. A roughly-coursed sandstone barn was recorded in 2012 by Alan Williams Archaeology ahead of its conversion into a residential unit. The barn was constructed between 1839-1857. It is a simple, double-pitched structure just 12.23m in length and 5.9m wide. It has a Welsh slate roof. The walls of the barn are pierced by splayed vents - all now blocked. A gin-gang (shown on the first edition ordnance survey plan) existed against the south wall of the barn. The gin-gang survived until at least 1916. It was replaced by the curren lean-to running along the south side of the barn. A small stone lean-to building with pantiled roof to the west end of the barn was constructed between 1860-1897.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, March 2006, Monkton Conservation Area Character Appraisal; N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition); Alan Williams Archaeology, 2012, Barn at Grange Farm, Monkton, South Tyneside - Historic Buildings Recording