Tyne and Wear HER(8496): Shiremoor, Backworth Colliery Brickworks (Blue Bell Brickwork - Details
Shiremoor, Backworth Colliery Brickworks (Blue Bell Brickwork
Brick and Tilemaking Site
A brickworks was established beside the Blue Bell mine in 1937 by Backworth Collieries. It comprised a 16-chamber Hoffman kiln with a 124 feet high chimney. Shale from Holywell was used, producing a red-coloured brick. A Bradley and craven machine press made mostly common bricks, firstly marked BLUE BELL but later stamped BACKWORTH, to avoid confusion with another firm using the same name. Production in the 1950s averaged 120,000 bricks per week. The works closed in 1965. Dates: 1937 – 1965 20th Century brickworks Source: Davison, P J, 1986. Brickworks of the North East, 56 site 5, 61.
P.J. Davison, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, p 56, site 5 and p 61