Tyne and Wear HER(85): Sunderland, Barrons Battery - Details
Sunderland, Barrons Battery
An emergency battery of two 12-pounder guns emplaced in August 1940, one on each of the inner pier heads. Initially B Battery, 509 Coast Regt; later 265 Coast Battery RA. This was a difficult command due to the need to detour several miles through Sunderland to get from No.1 Gun on the north pier to No. 2 Gun on the south pier. Despite this, during a 1941 tour of inspection, it is described as a 'good battery' with a note that it lacked a command post and overhead covers. Placed in care and maintenance in April 1944, abandoned December 1944.
<< HER 85 >> Fortress Study Group Conference, 1988, The Defences of Tyneside - Barrons Battery, Sunderland,p. 1 D. Clarke & A. Rudd, 1989, Tyneside in the Breech Loading Era Fortress, No. 3, pp 33-42