Tyne and Wear HER(8505): Pelaw Terracotta Works - Details
Pelaw Terracotta Works
Brick and Tilemaking Site
An important brickyard established by Jones & Maxwell in 1895, to the west of Monkseaton cokeworks. By 1911 it was owned by Jones Brothers and developed to become the largest manufactory of first class engineering and facing bricks in the north-east of England for over 50 years. A rope haulage system brought the clay up to the works, where four grinding mills reduced it to a fine, dry powder. Four brick machines (a Bradley & Craven and three Fawcett machines) produced up to 44,000 bricks per day; they were replaced by a Mitchel twin mould press in the mid 1960s. Until 1959, special shaped bricks were made in two small presses; a hand-operated screw press made warning tiles for electric cables; and rustic bricks began to be made in the late 1930s. In 1928, three kilns were in use: a Hoffman-type continuous kiln (which was the first to be built here), with 14 chambers; a continuous kiln of 14 chambers; and a large continuous kiln with 16 chambers. At this time, there was also another disused circular downdraught kiln. In 1964, about 80 people worked at the yard; it appears to have closed in 1968. 1897-1968 Source: Davison, P J, 1986. Brickworks of the North East, 122 site 18, 127-8.
P.J. Davison, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, p 122, site 18 and pp 127-8