Tyne and Wear HER(8512): East Boldon, Western Terrace - Details
East Boldon, Western Terrace
A pinch-point marked by trees. A curved two-storey terrace. However most properties have been rendered, pebbledashed or painted in a variety of colours. The terrace was built incrementally with varying details (not all have bay windows). Some chimneys have been reduced. Few original windows or doors survive (those to No. 2 appear original). Hedges have replaced lost railings. The first few houses are slightly earlier and have round arched windows with stone drip moulds. No. 2 is probably the most intact even though it is rendered. No. 9 is the only house to have retained its brick façade, but it has uPVC windows. There are extensions to the rear in brick and stone. Long gardens stretch back to tall walls, garages and outbuildings. The back lane has cobbles beneath the tarmac.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon