Tyne and Wear HER(8531): Fosters Felling Shore brickworks - Details
Fosters Felling Shore brickworks
Brick and Tilemaking Site
Founded by William Foster in 1904 and succeeded by his sons Jack, Joshua and George in 1933. The works closed in early 1940. There were two continuous kilns, the oldest being a Hoffman kiln, originally with 20 chambers and later extended to 26. In 1925 a 26-chamber Belgian kiln was built with a 125 feet high chimney. Three Fawcett brick machines made re-pressed facing bricks and A and B engineering bricks, and ran on a gas-powered engine. Specials were made in a hand-operated Screw Press machine, and hand-moulded bricks were also made. Rustic bricks were made in the 1930s. Shale for the bricks came from the quarry face that adjoined the brickyard. By 1939 it was almost worked out and permission to open a new quarry to the south was rejected. 1904-1939 Source: Davison, P J, 1986. Brickworks of the North East, 133, site 4, 135.
P.J. Davison, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, p 133, site 4, p 135