Tyne and Wear HER(8560): East Boldon, Front Street, Nos. 72 to 76 - Details
East Boldon, Front Street, Nos. 72 to 76
An impressive continuation of early stone houses. These properties have been modified with brick detailing - decorative dogtooth eaves, crow step gables, two porches and garden boundary walls. These details match the western extension to neighbouring Boldon House (HER 8170) as these houses were within the Boldon House estate. No. 76 is rendered and has replacement windows. No. 72a has a a painted brick garage with a plastic door. No. 72 retains its sash windows. These cottages would probably have been lime rendered originally.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon