Tyne and Wear HER(8564): East Boldon, Front Street, Nos. 78 to 84 - Details
East Boldon, Front Street, Nos. 78 to 84
No. 78 and 80 are small single storey limestone cottages with pantile roofs. Probably 17th century in date. 'Modernised' in the 19th century with the addition of a second storey added in brick, and the front elevations refaced in brick or rendered. They now bear the date 1883. Nos. 82 to 84 are Victorian, probably replacing a similar cottage. The shopfront is a good later addition. A boot scraper survives at No. 82.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon