Tyne and Wear HER(8575): East Boldon, Front Street, Nos. 44 to 60 - Details
East Boldon, Front Street, Nos. 44 to 60
Shops with flats above. Built in 1904 on an open plot cleared of its farm. Three storey terrace in strong red brick. Shopfronts, bay windows, fanlights, doors and windows are in good condition and painted in appropriate colours. The shopfronts have polished granite plinths and recessed doorways with mosaic tilework. The bricked up shopfront of No. 60 (the club) spoils the group. The later dormer is also an unfortunate addition. No. 44/46 is the most intact with original windows. Rears are largely intact with various offshots, dormers, tall chimneys and yard walls.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon