Tyne and Wear HER(8579): East Boldon, Front Street, Nos. 71 and 71a, Yellow Leas Farm - Details
East Boldon, Front Street, Nos. 71 and 71a, Yellow Leas Farm
Former farmhouse. Restored as part of a development on South Lane. Rendered elevations with accurate replica sash windows and door surround. Neat side offshots behind a tall original limestone wall which marked the boundary of its estate. The grassed gardens would once have been part of the linear village green. The other farm buildings have been replaced by a one-and-a-half storey red brick terrace built around a courtyard in 2000-1. Natural slate has been used for the roof and the low stable-like form with arched openings retains the agricultural feel. Two passageways link South Lane and Front Street lined with limestone boundary walls.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon