Tyne and Wear HER(8597): Birtley, St. Bede's Brick and Tileworks - Details
Birtley, St. Bede's Brick and Tileworks
Brick and Tilemaking Site
1925-1963 St Bede’s brickworks stood about 1/3 mile south of Station Lane and operated from 1925-1963. It made field drainage pipes and special bricks such as bullnoses and half-round bricks for wall tops. The yard had nine Newcastle kilns. The drying flats were steam-heated.
Davison, P J, 1986. Brickworks of the North East, 159 site 7, 163