Tyne and Wear HER(8608): Washington Colliery, F Pit, brickworks - Details
Washington Colliery, F Pit, brickworks
Brick and Tilemaking Site
1894; new brickyard 1928-1970 During the 1890s, W and F Stobart (colliery owners) made bricks here. The Kellett family took over the colliery and brickworks and traded under the name Northern Industrial Improvement Trust. The brickyard was disused in 1921, but reopened in the late 1920s when a 24-chamber Belgian-type continuous kiln was built, with a rather squat chimney.
Davison, P J, 1986. Brickworks of the North East, 159 site 22, 161