Tyne and Wear HER(873): West Boldon, Downhill, barrow and cist - Details
West Boldon, Downhill, barrow and cist
Religious Ritual and Funerary
In 1898-9 the Sunderland and South Shields Water Company constructed a service reservoir at Downhill (Nanny Cow Hill) on high ground south of West Boldon. While there seems no doubt that prehistoric finds were made in the course of this work, the evidence for the onetime existence of a barrow on the site depends entirely on Preston's statement, nearly 40 years later, that "the waterworks necessitated the removal of the barrow".
<< HER 873 >> Sunderland and South Shields Water Company Centenary, 1852-1952, L 628.1 -Newcastle Library Local Studies; H. Preston, 1935, Microlithic and other Industries of the Wear Valley, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 4, VI (for 1933-34, p. 109; R. Young, 1980, An Inventory of Barrows in Co. Durham, Transactions Architectectural & Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, New series Vol. 5, p. 5 no. 7; HE Savage, 1899, Exhibited, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 2, VIII (for 1897-8), p 206; AM Gibson, 1978, Bronze Age Pottery in the North East of England, No. 56, p 92; GB Gibbs, 1912, Early History of the Water Supplies of Sunderland and South Shields, Antiquities of Sunderland, XII (for 1911), p 34; R Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p 85, No. 1