Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Newcastle, Market Street East, Plummer House

Tyne and Wear HER(8798): Newcastle, Market Street East, Plummer House - Details

Back to Search Results



Newcastle, Market Street East, Plummer House




Assembly Rooms



Extant Building

The listed building description was found to have wrongly named Newcombe and Newcombe as the architects. An historic buildings recording by URS in 2013 suggests the building was designed by Charles Septimus Errington. The main phase of construction dates to 1909 which opened as Tilley's Tearooms. The tearooms was actually a large recreational building containing ballrooms. However, by 1921 the Newcastle and Gateshead Gas Company had moved into the premises and began alterations - including the removal of first floor shops and small ballroom. In 1936 the building was extended. Plummer House was converted into offices in the 1960s. The main faƧade remains prominent in the streetscape and represents a good example of early 20th century classical detailing. LISTED GRADE 2




Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, 21/379; Grace McCombie, 2009, Pevsner Architectural Guides, Newcastle and Gateshead, p 189; URS, 2013, Plummer House, Newcastle upon Tyne - Historic Buildings Recording; Building Control Plans 1909-1936 TWAS T186/23145; Gifford, 2007, East Pilgrim Street, Newcastle upon Tyne - Condition Appraisal and Conservation Statement; ASUD, 2015, Plummer House, Newcastle upon Tyne - archaeological monitoring

Back to Search Results