Tyne and Wear HER(889): South Shields, Quaker Burial Ground - Details
South Shields, Quaker Burial Ground
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Friends Burial Ground
The Quaker Burial Ground at South Shields was situated in Robert Linton's garden. The first recorded burial was in 1673, the last in 1697. Though Phillips does not locate this cemetery, Hodgson states that Linton's house was in West Pans Way, "now Laygate Lane", and the Ordnance Survey quotes the South Shields musuem curator as saying the burial ground was situated west of the present Trinity Church in Commercial Road.
<< HER 889 >> M. Phillips, 1894, Notes on some forgotten Burying Grounds of the Society of Friends, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVI, 202-206 Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards, JHO, 1952, Medieval quaker burial ground (site) G.B. Hodgson, 1903, The Borough of South Shields, 97-8 M. Phillips, 1917, Additional isolated burials, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 3, VII (for 1915-16), p. 179