Tyne and Wear HER(890): Westoe manor - Details
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
C13 - C16
To assist them in their reconstruction of the church of Jarrow, Bishop Walcher gave Aldwin et al. in the late 11th century the vill of Gyrvum and its appendages, which included Westoe. How soon the prior and convent of Durham established the manor is not clear, though there is reference to a camera in 1264. There are numerous 14th century and a few 15th century references to buildings: hall(s), chapel, camera(s), solar, kitchen, bakehouse, grange(s), granary, byre, cowhouse, stable, sheeppen, piggery, limekiln and gatehouse. Its location is perhaps at the east end, and the east end of the south side of the village, where a hall and the site of an "ancient chapel" are shown on a map of 1768. Fielding appears to favour this, suggesting "Manor House and Westoe Farm", but could not trace the succession of tenants after the manor was divided in Post Medieval times.
<< HER 890 >> The College Durham Dean and Chapter MSS, medieval Westoe, manorial accounts - Durham University Special Collections 5 The College Durham Dean and Chapter MSS, Halmote Books II -Durham University Special Collections 5 W. Greenwell, ed. 1871, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, 58, passim The College Church Commission, 1768, Plan of...Westoe and Harton, CC 13668 -Durham University Special Collections 5 J. Fielding, 1980, A Study of the Buildings on the Bursar's Manors of Durham Cathedral Priory, Durham University Unpublished M.A. thesis, passim