Tyne and Wear HER(924): South Shields Roman fort, well - Details
South Shields Roman fort, well
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Storage Site
In 1910 Rev. C.E.Adamson published a note recording the discovery of a well "7.5 feet from the south-east corner of the 'forum' in a line with the southern side" and close to the remains of a wall marked on the plan in Archaeologia Aeliana 2, X, page 250. The well was elliptical in plan, 27 inches x 20 inches., and roughly lined with squared stones to a depth of about 1 yard. When emptied there were traces of a cement bottom and virgin clay beneath - a natural spring of no great capacity.
<< HER 924 >> Rev. C.E. Adamson, 1910, Roman Station: South Shields,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 3, IV (for 1909-10), p. 176