Tyne and Wear HER(925): South Shields, North Marine Park, Hogshead Well - Details
South Shields, North Marine Park, Hogshead Well
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Storage Site
Immediately below (the Lawe) on the sands was Hogshead Well, in later times known as the Roman Well, which was so wantonly destroyed by the levelling of the ballast hills for the North Park extension - thus wrote Hodgson in 1903. In 1805 it had been included in a list of public wells which it was recommended should be opened out and deepened to relieve the water shortage in South Shields. In 1910 Rev. C.E. Adamson noted that in 1896 a well was found at the foot of the Lawe...described by Mr. G.B. Hodgson...as consisting of a circular shaft lined with Roman bricks in an excellent state of preservation, and yielding a regular flow of pure water. It was buried the next year during some operations at the Marine Park.
<< HER 925 >> G.B. Hodgson, 1903, The Borough of South Shields, pp. 126, 153 Rev. C.E. Adamson, 1910, Roman Station: South Shields,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 3, IV (for 1909-10), p. 176 Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards, JHO, 1952, Possible Roman well (site of) 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham IV