Tyne and Wear HER(951): Westoe village - Details
The earliest reference to Westoe (Wivestou) dates to 1074-80 when it and the other vills dependent on Jarrow were given by Bishop Walcher to Aldwin and his companions to assist them in the reconstruction of the church of Jarrow. It is thus odd to find it included with the bishop's lands in Boldon Book (a survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset), c. 1183, when it was at farm. In 1345-6 there were 41 holdings but only 24 named tenants; in 1539 and 1580 there was a total of 12 holdings. Though no early buildings survive, Westoe still retains its "regular two row plan with green". It was clearly a settlement of affluent residents in the 19th and early 20th centuries, with some quite grand houses.
<< HER 951 >> T. Arnold, 1882, Symeon of Durham - Rolls Series W. Greenwell, 1852, Boldon Book, Surtees Society, 25, p. 69 The College Durham Dean and Chapter MSS, med. Bursar's accounts and rental - Durham University Special Collections 5 W. Greenwell, 1872, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society,58, pp. lxxxiii, 15, 94, 118, 208, 309 J. Booth, 1889, Halmota Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, 82, pp. 27, 139, 151, 156, 226-7 The College Church Commission, 1768, The townships of Westoe and Harton, nos. 13668 and 13669 -Durham University Special Collections 5 The College Enclosure Awards, 1618, Chancery decree for Westoe - Durham University Special Collections 5 The College Grey Collection, 1649, Parliamentary Survey for Westoe, Misc. Books, no. 6,- Durham University Special Collections 5 The College Tithe Awards, 1840, Westoe - Durham University Special Collections 5 G.B. Hodgson, 1903, The Borough of South Shields, passim