Tyne and Wear HER(952): Harton village - Details
The first reference to Harton (Heortedun) dates to 1074-80, when it and the other vills dependent on Jarrow were given by Bishop Walcher to Aldwin and his companions to assist them in the reconstruction of the church of Jarrow. In 1424 gillicorn was due from 21 bondages; there were 10 tenements in 1539 and 1580. The map of 1768 shows Harton as an L-shaped settlement, the north-south part lying along the east side of Sunderland Road, the other between Moor Lane and Marsden Road. 6 of the ?10 farms were located in this nucleated but not really 2 row settlement. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map notes "Old Foundations Site of the Old Village of Harton" further south on Sunderland Road, so it has been a village of some size, though when it shrank is not known. It has been much rebuilt since 1900 and the medieval pattern is largely lost.
<< HER 952 >> Rev. W. Greenwell,1872, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, 58, pp. lxxxiii, 94, 118, 208, 309 J. Booth, ed. 1889, Halmota Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, 82, pp. 5, 27, 139, 225 The College Durham, Dean and Chapter MSS, med. Bursar's accounts and rental -Durham University Special Collections 5 5 The College, 1840, Plans and valuations - Durham University Special Collections The College, Halmoe Court, (date unknown), Sundry Notitia Bundle 3, xviii -Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Church Commission, 1768, Westoe and Harton, nos. 13668, 13669 -Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Church Commission, C188, Harton Farm no. 13679, Durham University Special Collections 5 The College Tithe Awards, 1840, Harton - Durham University Special Collections 5 The College Ordnance Survey maps, 1st ed. 25, Durham IV.9 -Durham University Special Collections 5 G.B. Hodgson, 1903, The Borough of South Shields, passim