Tyne and Wear HER(954): West Boldon village - Details
West Boldon village
The earliest reference to Boldon dates to 1183 when it formed the model, in Boldon Book, for the management of the bishop's estates. It was a large settlement, with 22 villeins and by the late 13th century at the latest had a parish church. In c.1380 there were 23 holdings of 10 acres each of demesne, 23 bondage lands consisting of a messuage and 2 bovates, 6 cottagers holding 2 cottages and 50+ acres of land, and 9 cottagers with a cottage but no demesne land. Many of the tenants were in all categories. Though West and East Boldon were not distinguished in these surveys, it seems likely that West Boldon was the original settlement, and that East Boldon was a new village of perhaps the 13th century and represents a division of the original township. West Boldon is described as "an irregular cluster without a green". Originally the main road passed west and north of the church on its way eastwards.
<< HER 954 >> W. Greenwell, 1852, Boldon Book, Surtees Society, 25, p. 45 W. Greenwell, 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, pp. 98-102 D.A. Kirby, 1972, Parliamentary Surveys of the Bishopric of Durham, Surtees Society, II 185 The College Enclosure awards, 18th century, Halmote Court copy of Chancery Decree Award, Boldon, no. 12 - Durham University Special Collections 5 Durham Records Office, NCB - West Boldon deeds, 1/D/14 Durham Records Office, NCB - Boldon Gillytithes, D.CG.2 The College Tithe Awards, 1840, Boldon - Durham University Special Collections 5 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History...of Durham, II, pp. 620-24 R. Surtees, 1820, History...of Durham, II, pp. 57-64 The College, Halmote Court, Addit. maps and plans, Vol. 86, ff. 66, 232 -Durham University Special Collections 5