Tyne and Wear HER(955): East Boldon village - Details
East Boldon village
The earliest reference to Boldon dates to 1183 when it formed the model, in Boldon Book (a survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset), for the management of the bishop's estates. Though even in Hatfield's Survey of 1381 there is no clear division into East and West, it seems possible that East Boldon had in fact come into existence in the 13th century - there is reference to "the new moor of East Boldon" in 1283. It presumably represents a split of the old township into two, an occurrence for which there are parallels elsewhere. A two-row plan with green, it still has a very neat, compact outline, rectangular with a back lane on both sides and round the ends.
<< HER 955 >> W. Greenwell, 1852, Boldon Book, Surtees Society, 25, p. 45 W. Greenwell, 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, pp. 98-102 D.A. Kirby, 1972, Parliamentary Surveys of the Bishopric of Durham, Surtees Society, II 185, p. The College Enclosure awards, 18th century, Halmote Court copy of Chancery Decree Award, Boldon, no. 12 - Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Halmote Court Books, Vol. 86, ff. 66, 232 -Durham University Special Collections 5 Durham Records Office, 1872, East Boldon, D.XP.7 Durham Records Office, NCB - Boldon Gillytithes, D.CG.2 The College Tithe Awards, 1840, Boldon - Durham University Special Collections 5 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History...of Durham, II, p. 627 M. Linge, 1969, The Story of Boldon