Tyne and Wear HER(960): West Boldon, Fatherless Field (Elliscope) Farm - Details
West Boldon, Fatherless Field (Elliscope) Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
In bishop Bury's time (1340s)... Allan Gategant held certain lands there (West Boldon) called Fadreless Houses, held in capite by homage and fealty. Surtees also noted this, saying another small freehold, a messuage and carucate of land on Boldon moor, called Faderles House, passed for a few descents in the family of Gategang. By 1381 it was held by Peter del Hay, Faderlesfield, of 46 acres, for 20s or 26s 10d. Called Fatherless Field on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, it is now Elliscope farm.
<< HER 960 >> W. Greenwell, 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, pp. 98-102 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History...of Durham, II, 495 and ?620-4 R. Surtees, 1820, History...of Durham, II, 59; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2014, Site south of Newcastle Road (A184) and West of A19 - Archaeological Assessment