Tyne and Wear HER(962): Whitburn/Cleadon medieval windmill - Details
Whitburn/Cleadon medieval windmill
Wind Power Site
In 1307 the rent of the mills of Cleadon and Whitburn, with Boldon, was listed in a roll of Bishop Bec. In 1381 all the bond tenants of the vills of Whitburn and Cleadon held a windmill, and were required to work there. It thus appears that there was only one mill, and there is no clue as to its location. One (or even both) of the two 18th century mills which survive, could mark the site of their medieval predecessor(s).
<< HER 962 >> W. Greenwell, 1852, Boldon Book, Surtees Society, 25, p. xxv W. Greenwell, 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, pp. 104-05