Tyne and Wear HER(963): Cleadon village - Details
In Boldon Book (c. 1183 a survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset), the earliest reference, Hatfield's Survey (c. 1382) and the Parliamentary Survey of 1647 Cleadon is listed with Whitburn, and it is not possible to give any idea of the number of tenants and holdings peculiar to either. Cleadon lies at the junction of 4 roads, from the north (South Shields), east (Whitburn), south (Sunderland) and west (along the north side of Boldon Flats). The 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan shows it with a squarish outline and western extension; two rows face a very wide street with a pond, which is still there. It appears that this may once have been a green in spite of Roberts and Austin's categorization og the village as an "irregular cluster or agglomeration without a green". A number of stone buildings survive to mark the village core though the outskirts are now much built up.
<< HER 963 >> W. Greenwell, 1852, Boldon Book, Surtees Society, 25, p. 46 W. Greenwell, 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, pp. 102-06 D.A. Kirby, 1972, Parliamentary Surveys of the Bishopric of Durham, Surtees Society, II 185, pp. 49-52 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History...of Durham, II, 627-8 The College, Enclosure Awards, 1680, Moors and meadows in Whitburn parish, Chancery Decree Award, no. 57- Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Enclosure Awards, 1718, Fields in Whitburn parish, Chancery Decree Award, no. 58 - Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Halmote Court Books, 1680, Cleadon, Vol. 88 f. 500 - Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Halmote Court, Addit Maps and Plans, (date unknown), Cleadon North farm, 36b - Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Halmote Court, Addit Maps and Plans, (date unknown), Cleadon and district 36c -Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, (date unknown), nos. 170a, b, 215, 216a, b -Durham University Special Collections 5 John Mabbitt, 2003, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2-4 Sunderland Road, Cleadon Archaeological Assessment; Northern Archaeological Associaties, 2015, The Cleadon Village Atlas