Tyne and Wear HER(964): Cleadon tower - Details
Cleadon Tower, which is mentioned as early as 1587 was taken down by Richard Pemberton, Esq. about twenty-five years ago. It was a square tower of two stages, leaded, and with a spiral stone stair-case to the top. It was attached to the east end of the present old mansion, and commanded a very extensive prospect. Other sources, however, suspect that the tower was a folly, or a fanciful building for pleasure, to enjoy the view, although the 16th century does seem rather early for a folly. The precise location is not clear, but the earlier maps of Cleadon might suggest a likely site.
<< HER 964 >> R. Surtees, 1820, History...of Durham, II, 55 and n.; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2015, The Cleadon Village Atlas