Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Byker, Shields Road, Church of St. Mark

Tyne and Wear HER(9646): Byker, Shields Road, Church of St. Mark - Details

Back to Search Results



Byker, Shields Road, Church of St. Mark



Religious Ritual and Funerary


Parish Church



Extant Building

Parish Church. Designed 1904 by Hicks and Charlewood of Newcastle, built 1905-6 at the expense of W.D.Cruddas of Haughton Castle and consecrated 10th March 1906. Altered 1967. Nave and chancel divided by a bellcote. Nave aisles with vestries and organ chamber. Sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Ashlar coped gables with kneelers and angle buttresses. Perpendicular Revival style. East front has large 7-light pointed arch window with panel tracery and hood mould. Angles topped by crocketed pinnacles and gable topped by finial. To the left a lean-to with a 3-light pointed arch window with panel tracery, to the right a 3-light flat-headed mullion window. South front has 2 window chancel and 6 window nave with aisles and clerestory. North front has 2 window chancel with single storey hipped roof vestry, and 2 storey gabled organ chamber. Vestry has a 2-light mullion window and a pointed arch doorway with hood mould, beyond the organ chamber has a 3-light mullion window and above a tall 3-light pointed arch window with hood mould. The nave has 5, 3-light pointed arch windows and to the west a single pointed arch doorway with double doors and a wooden tracery overlight. Above the clerestory has 5, 3-light flat-headed mullion windows and a single 2-light window to the west. West front has a four light pointed arch window with a central major mullion. On the roof between the nave and chancel a gabled bellcote with 2 round headed bell openings. Interior: 6 bay nave arcades with double chamfered pointed arches with octagonal piers and responds. Elaborate wooden single hammer beam roof. The west section of the nave has been partitioned off in 1967 to a hall, meeting rooms, kitchens etc. Double chamfered pointed arch. Fittings include temporary organ by Bishop & sons with wooden case. Wooden pews, choir stalls and screens. Octagonal stone font decorated with panel tracery, 1906 with a wooden font cover added 1933. Brass lectern 1906. East window dedicated 8th June 1921 as a war memorial by John Charles Bevsey. LISTED GRADE 2




Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 1833-/12/10005; National Monuments Record monument number 1038483, building file BF094732

Back to Search Results