Tyne and Wear HER(977): Kibblesworth, Blackburn Fell, common land - Details
Kibblesworth, Blackburn Fell, common land
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
Until 1801/1818 the land between the River Team (to the south & west), Riding Lane (to the south-east), Whickham Common (to the north-west), Hedley and Andrews House grounds (to the west), Kibblesworth and Ravensworth (to the east and north-east) was common in the parochial chapelries of Lamesley and Tanfield, and went by the names of Blackburn Fell, Burdon Moor, Hedley Fell, Kibblesworth Common and Beamish East Moor. It amounted to c. 2000 acres. The Enclosure Act was passed in 1801, and the Award made in 1818. The common had probably once been much larger since it seems fairly clear that there had been major encroachments/private enclosures on its margins, certainly Hedley (HER no. 142) and Riding (HER no. 972), and possibly also Cooper House, Kibblesworth Grange, Leaden Field, Ravensworth Grange, Beamish and Andrews House. A large area of the onetime common has been opencasted, and this continues.
<< HER 977 >> Enclosure Awards, 1818, Blackburn Fell, Q/D/E/15 -Durham Records Office The College, Tithe Awards, 1847 Lamesley - Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Ordnance Survey maps, 1864, 1st ed. 1:2500 -Durham University Special Collections 5 The College, Book of Reference, Chester-le-Street parish -Durham University Special Collections 5 R. Surtees, 1820, History...of Durham, II, 214 Aerial Photograph, RCHME, RAF, 1961, Sortie 58.4129 F22 print 0083 Aerial Photograph, RCHME, BKS, Durham 1971 - ?, UO53890 no. on print 652587