Tyne and Wear HER(981): Hedworth watermill - Details
Water Power Production Site
In the bursar's rental of 1539 the tenants of Hedworth are recorded as paying 16s 8d for the repair of the watermill. In 1783 the mill is shown astride the River Don at the north-east corner of the village, and a mill race in the same place on the1st edition Ordnance Survey map. A mill is recorded at Hedworth in the Jarrow Account Rolls of 1332 and the site may well be the same. The mill was for milling corn. A cottage now stands on the site at Hedworth, with no obvious connections to the old mill, although what may be traces of the race can be seen on the west bank of the Don.
<< HER 981 >> W. Greenwell, 1872, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society,58, p. 308 The College Church Commission, 1783, Monkton, Wardley, Hedworth, nos. 13643 -Durham University Special Collections 5 Ordnance Survey maps, 18, 1st ed. 6, Durham III South Tyneside Groundwork Trust, 1992, Boldon Mill Tyne and Wear Museums,1992, Don Valley Survey p 7