Tyne and Wear HER(9943): Newcastle, Royal Victoria Infirmary, conservatory - Details
Newcastle, Royal Victoria Infirmary, conservatory
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
This peaceful conservatory is a place for hospital patients, staff and visitors to visit to enjoy a green environment away from the wards. Constructed in 1907, possibly by the architects W.L. Newcombe and H. Percy Adams who built the rest of the hospital, the conservatory combines stone walls supporting a metal and glass conservatory construction, which has been restored. Restoration and the construction of an access ramp took place in 1996. The interior has a red tiled floor which contrasts with the greenery of the plants grown there.
Newcastle City Council, 2006, Local List of Buildings, Structures, Parks, Gardens and Open Spaces of Special Local Architectural or Historic Interest Supplementary Planning Document; The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2009, The Conservatory, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, Historic Buildings Recording