Tyne and Wear HER(10396): Newcastle, Percy Street, Haymarket Brewery - Details
Title of image: Newcastle Breweries, Haymarket, Newcastle upon Tyne
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Industries Collection
Accession number: NCL 013958
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Percy Street, Haymarket Brewery
Brewing and Malting Site
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition 1860s. John Sanderson was a brewer here in the 1850s. He died in 1896 and his son Councillor W.J. Sanderson took over. The brewery included offices (now Bruce Building, HER 5150), a mineral water works, beer-bottling plant, wine and spirit stores (basement of Bruce Building), stables for 36 horses, blacksmith's forge, coopers and joinetrs shops, an engine and boiler house to provide light and power, the Cock and Anchor Public House (later Hotspur Hotel) and shops (HER 9931). The firm had 26 other public houses. Cellars under the stable yard were accessed from the bonded warehouse in St. Thomas Street. In 1896 Newcastle Breweries acquired all of the assets of Sanderson & Sons. In the 1950s the Bruce Building was compulsorily purchased from the brewery for the extension to King's College. The east end of the building and the upper floors of Nos. 101-111 were occupied by the education department, later the International Centre for Cultural and Heritage Studies.
Ordnance Survey First Edition 1860s; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 53; The Archaeological Practice Ltd, 2013, The Bruce Building, Nos. 113-115 and Nos. 101-111 Percy Street, Newcastle upon Tyne - Historic Buildings Recording; documents held by Tyne and Wear Archives, Ref. 14868 bundle, Percy Street and ref 16132 bundle, St. Thomas Street