Tyne and Wear HER(12200): Lamesley, Church of St. Andrew, two medieval grave slabs - Details
Lamesley, Church of St. Andrew, two medieval grave slabs
Religious Ritual and Funerary
1) slab of coarse orange/brown sandstone 1.49m x 0.49m x 0.42m, base missing. Now on the floor at the east end of the south aisle. Incised design, straight-arm cross with fleur-de-lys terminals, shears on right of shaft. Late C13 or C14. 2) slab of coarse orange/brown sandstone 1.89m x 0.55m x 0.48m. The edge has a moulding of two rolls with a hollow chamfer in-between. The cross head is an ornate double-ring form, the outer ring of 8 round-leaf bracelets and the inner of 4. The axes of the inner cross are set diagonally to those of the slab. The cross head is carved in relief within a sunken panel and parts of the design overlap the inner moulding. The remainder of the design is incised. The cross shaft rises from a three step cavlary base. On the right of the shaft is a two-line inscription, only the first half is legible. Boyle (1892, 607) gives this as: "HIC IN TVMBA LACET….. PRO ANIMA EIVS ORA……". The cross head form would suggest a date in the first half of the C13.
Peter F. Ryder, 1985, The Medieval Cross Slab Grave Cover in County Durham, Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland Research Report No. 1, p 102; J.R. Boyle, 1892, Comprehensive Guide to the County of Durham, p. 607