You are Here: Home / Hebburn, Hebburn Fever Hospital and Smallpox Hospital
Hebburn, Hebburn Fever Hospital and Smallpox Hospital
Health and Welfare
Infectious Diseases Hospital
Constructed by 1897 as a temporary hut with accomodation for 4 patients. In 1899 a new permanent building was built. A TB sanatorium building was added in 1901. Hebburn Fever Hospital expanded by 1916 and a dedicated smallpox hospital had been added to the south. The 1941 OS map shows that the smallpox hospital had been demolished and a mortuary within the fever hospital grounds. From April 1950 the hospital ceased to treat all infectious diseases and functioned solely as a TB sanatorium for women. In March 1956 the Hebburn Hospital closed. It reopened in October 1956 for the care of the long-term sick. It has later been an elderly care unit. The hospital closed in December 1996. The building is now known as Alexandra Lodge and is a Public Health Development Centre.
Simpson & Brown and South Tyneside Council, 2007, Hebburn Hall Conservation Area - First draft Character Appraisal; www.hebburn.org; www.norman.dunn247.com; www.999hebburn.co.uk