Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Sunderland, Hudson Road, Emmanuel Free Church

Tyne and Wear HER(13596): Sunderland, Hudson Road, Emmanuel Free Church - Details

Back to Search Results


13596


Sunderland


Sunderland, Hudson Road, Emmanuel Free Church


Sunderland


NZ45NW


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Nonconformist Chapel


Presbyterian Chapel


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Shown on OS maps as Presbyterian Chapel. Formerly the German Evangelical Church of Prussia - possibly only the second built in Britain. Opened in 1873 by local German businessmen. Served the German population of Sunderland and visiting seamen until the outbreak of World War One. It was then stripped of interior fittings and used as a warehouse. Reopened in 1931 as the Emmanuel Free Church. A pipe organ has been installed in the gallery and an ‘upper room’ created for smaller services and gatherings.


4019


5685


NZ40195685


-1.3731427429701,54.9046673156


Sunderland Echo, Tuesday 22 March 2011, Wearside Echoes: Welcoming worshippers for 80 years; www.nationalarchives.gov.uk Programme for the 50th anniversary of the church in Sunderland C.SU68/4 13 May 1914; Letter from Pastor H. Rosenstein of Martin Luther Church to Charity Commissioners concerning the fate of the German Protestant church in Sunderland C.SU68/5 30 January 1970; Reply from the Charity Commissioners C.SU68/6 20 March 1970; Photocopies of the Charity Commissioners scheme to sell the German Church and Manse C.SU68/7 11 July 1924; Tribute to Pastor Harms C.SU68/8 n.d. [c.1912] - all these documents are held by Tyne and Wear Archives; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, List of Non Conformist Chapels in Sunderland

Back to Search Results